Friday, February 20, 2009

Mardi Gras 2009









There is nothing more fun and challenging that an unusual assignment. Most of the time our shoots are sizable productions. We tend to work with large budgets, producers, stylists, models, and assistants. I am surrounded by our usual motley crew of people who I love, trust and help me execute my client’s dreams.

Today I am flying on my own. I have pared down my equipment from five to ten cases to a backpack. Today and for the coming week I will be masquerading as a photojournalist. I will be photographing a behind the scenes peek at Mardi Gras from an African American tradition. The pictures will be used to promote minority tourism for the State of Louisiana. There will be no set ups. I will photograph what I see as I participate in the balls, parades, music, food and mirth that is Mardi Gras.

I am not an event person. I usually stay away from crowds. Luckily for this trip it will be all first class with the gracious staff of Gmc advertising paving mine and my fellow journalist way.

Reading about the history of Mardi Gras, looking at newspaper articles and photographs one question keeps coming to my mind; Why? Mardi Gras is obviously a very expensive, time consuming orgy of color, food, drink, sex, and music. Who has the time? Who has the money? Who has the energy to dedicate this much effort to something so transient?

Sincerely,

Zave Smith
www.zavesmith.com

No comments: